Design a site like this with WordPress.com
Get started

Bleaching Leaves on Fabrics

I enjoyed playing around with the leaves and bleaching them onto fabric, I think it worked even better than doing it on paper, more like doing it on tissue paper and removing that colour. I created a dyed green fabric and decided to bleach this back and see if it just removes the colour.

The method for this is to use a SYNTHETIC brush (I learnt my lesson after my natural bristle brush ended up without any bristles left) and paint the back of the leaves using bleach, I have used bleach and a bleach-water mixture, they both seemed to do the same just I think some fabrics could not handle the undiluted bleach. I then printed these leaves onto the dyed fabrics and flattened it with a book to get an even spread. Then removed the leaf and watched it develop. They actually turned quite orange which I did not expect but the effect of it is good.

Advertisement

Structures, sheds and fences research and experiments

I continued in my sketchbook by exploring structures that the animals would encounter, maybe sleep in, along their way. This started with stone walls that I see in the mountains, or some wooden fences with barbed wire that I thought would be encountered regularly. I added annotation about how I thought these experiments went in my book, basically explaining that I could try some patterns with the walls as a stripe but I would like my patterns to remain interesting and pretty with the species in mind when I design all of them. I thought about adding foliage and flowers to the walls or fences to make them prettier too which I think I could take forward and try in Procreate.

The rest of the pages focused on the sheds and buildings and the textures I pulled from them. I think some of these will be interesting to explore more in some markmaking in Procreate, I explained in my annotation why some others I feel like did not work at all for the woodland purpose, such as the corrugated metal sheds.